This self defense course is spread over a weekend (two days) with 6 hours of classes on Saturday (3 in the morning and three in the afternoon) and 4 hours of classes on Sunday (two in the morning and two in the afternoon). The content for this course goes in depth giving participants more perspective on the different aspects of self defense. The following content will be covered:
- Using your voice as a tool for creating space and boundaries
- De-escalation techniques
- Learning to de-escalate situations and how to recognize when it needs to be used
- Basic wrist grabs
- How to escape from wrist grabs
- Distractions – how and when to use them to your benefit
- Using the different points on your body as potential striking points – ie. Knees, elbows, hands
- Other types of grabs, from being pulled to bear hugs and hair pulling
- Chokes – easy releases and escapes
- Working in scenarios – on the ground, backed against a wall
- Social situations that may need both a vocal and physical de-escalation
- How to deal with more than one attacker
- Going to the ground – how to neutralize attacker both going to the ground and on the ground
- Knife defense – the different aspects of knife defense including escapes, controls, disarms and simple techniques will be covered. The ethics and importance of the use and defense of a knife will also be covered so participants will have a good understanding how to respond in certain situations.
- How to follow up and get away to a safe space
- Putting it all together and feeling safe in your space
There will also be a question and answer period. The goal of this course is to empower the participants to create and maintain safe boundaries and have an understanding of how to create and apply the knowledge learned in the course.
The weekend self defense course can also be used as a team building tool for groups who are looking to learn something constructive as well as build morale, confidence and teamwork together.
This course can also be offered in a refresher format for those who have previously taken it.
This course can be taught to groups and people of all sizes, ages, gender, including kids, teens, and physically and mentally challenged participants.
For more information regarding course fees, please contact Punong Guro Laura Holmes at info.filipinomartialarts at gmail.com.